Tuesday, November 19, 2013

this week in kinder...

It has to be documented: So far, this week has been incredibly peaceful and enjoyable in Kindergarten.

I know, I know...I totally just jinxed myself for tomorrow.
And yes, I know it's only Tuesday.
But it has to be said, I've enjoyed myself the last two days, and I'm even looking forward to going to work tomorrow. I haven't been able to say that in a long time.

This week we've been learning about:

Measurement! One of my favorite math units. We learned what it means to measure something, and we learned that you can use non-standard units of measurement (things other than a ruler/tape measure) to see how big or small things are.
Yesterday we measured our bodies with yarn, and then compared our results.

The yarn is taped to the wall (rainbow colored, which is why it looks funny), and we had to figure out who was the tallest and who was the shortest.

We also started learning about antonyms today. This is the list of antonyms the kiddos came up with. Normally, opposites are a hard concept for little kids to grasp, but this group caught on in less than one minute! 

We've started learning to read--by FAR my favorite time of the year! There's just something so rewarding about teaching children to read. It's the main reason that I love kindergarten! This week we're learning the difference between CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) words and words that follow another pattern. For the record, we made our classroom into a game show while we made this chart, and I felt like I was hosting The Price Is Right! By the time we were finished, the kids read all the words on this chart! 5 years old and reading...who knew?!

Hear ye, hear ye! There was only one card flipped all day! One kid went to yellow during lunch, and the rest of my kiddies stayed on green! I was so excited, and made a huge deal out of it. Our goal now is to beat this tomorrow and get ALLLLLL green! (Fingers crossed!)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, prayers, words of advice and encouragement. It has really helped, and means a lot to know that you're supportive of me. Here's hoping that we can at least get through the rest of the week with no major catastrophes! 

xoxo, wife.

2 comments:

  1. You could hear it in your voice tonight when you said the reading thing....this is a moment you know you love what your job is (not that you always love your job, but what it is you love).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer for you. Keep up the good work.
    Love You, Grandma Sue

    ReplyDelete