Sunday, January 26, 2014

blackfish.

Call me a nerd, but I've been really into watching documentaries lately.

During my snow day on Friday, I sat down with my Kindle and looked for something to watch on Netflix. I watched a documentary called, "Bully," which I think every middle school/high school student in the country should watch. I had tears in my eyes several times.

That night I wanted to watch something else. There were so many choices that looked good, but I finally settled on "Blackfish," mostly because I've always had a love for killer whales.



After watching this documentary, I will NEVER visit Sea World again. Ever.

The documentary was mainly about one particular orca and the fact that in his career he killed 3 different trainers. Then they go into how he and other killer whales are treated at Sea World, and I can't blame him for becoming aggressive! I was outraged through the entire movie about how these whales were treated...where they "live" when they're not performing...how they punish the whales when they don't perform a trick correctly. How they tear babies away from their mothers after a year, and scientific research shows that the mothers actually GRIEVE that loss for quite some time.

As much as I loved Sea World shows as a child, and as much as I cried when Free Willy was actually freed (because he wouldn't be with the boy anymore,) I now strongly oppose having orcas in captivity. Yes, they're beautiful. Yes, they can do really neat flips in the water. But at what cost?

If you like or are interested in killer whales, I strongly suggest that you check out "Blackfish." It was an eye-opener, for sure.

xoxo, wife.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you need to watch Free Willy again now as an adult and you'll be happy with the ending!

    ReplyDelete