Sunday, February 15, 2015

my thoughts on living tiny

I often think about my "dream home."

In this age of the internet, and especially Pinterest, it's so easy to find images upon images of these amazing houses with all this incredible decor.

When I think about my "dream home," I often picture some massive McMansion with gorgeous exterior. It has a beautiful wrap-around porch and sweet little balconies. There's a large, spacious kitchen with amazing barnwood floors and a huge living room with a fireplace underneath a large mantle where I can hang our stockings from Pottery Barn. The bedrooms are all large enough to contain all my many possessions and still have room to sprawl out (and I think it's assumed that there are CRAZY big walk-in closets.) I have my own craft-room and a separate office, while Ty has two Man Caves: one for his hunting things, and one for his sports-related items. There's tons of natural light coming from all our floor-to-ceiling windows with amazing window treatments from Anthropologie. And I won't even go into all the great things that I picture this "dream home" having for my children. It's beautiful. It's massive. And I'll never live in it. But a girl can dream, right?
*****
I love learning new things, and watching/studying people. I'm very interested in how different people live. I think one of the main reasons I love reality television is getting a glimpse into another person's life, and how they live whether completely realistic or not. I recently stumbled upon a documentary called, "Tiny: A Story About Living Small." It follows a young couple with no construction experience who decide to build a tiny house and live on a chunk of land in the mountains. The whole documentary revolves around people who live in these "tiny houses," which are houses that are typically less than 200 square feet, and are on wheels, so as to avoid building permits and to be able to relocate easily.

I had no idea that these "tiny houses" were even a thing. But apparently, there are tons of people who live in them.




Living in these "tiny houses" is actually an entire movement. Most of the people who decide to live in them do so because they disagree with our current American values. We place so much importance on making money (at jobs we often hate) in order to buy things that we don't really need. So many of us are living WAY above our means, and it usually comes back to our greed. We all want more. We want bigger. We want the best. We want others to be envious of what we have. "Tiny house" owners are also usually environmentally conscious. A smaller house means less to heat, less electricity. Most use solar panels. And most have no mortgage and more money in savings than their 2600 sq. ft. home counterparts.


I was impressed by the stories I heard in the documentary. These people who just decided to up and leave their 2600 sq. ft. homes and sell most of their possessions in order to live in these "tiny houses." They live so simply, and they all seemed perfectly content. Their homes all had electricity, working plumbing, and were decorated nicely. The creativity in storage spaces was neat too. There were tons of secret cubbies where things could be hidden from sight. Tables that fold out from the walls. Lofts for the bedroom.





I don't think I'd ever prefer to live in a home like this. Unfortunately, I AM too greedy. I like my stuff, I like my space, and most importantly, I'd like to have children someday and I want them to have space to run and play inside when the weather is bad. But I have to say that I was impressed by these couples/individuals who took on this lifestyle. And it's a growing trend. Just google "tiny houses," and there are tons of sites, pictures, blue prints, and plans. 

Like I said, I like learning about people and the way they live. This documentary really interested me, and inspires me to think a little more about my "dream home." Perhaps that home shouldn't be as much about large kitchens and insane walk-in closets. It should probably be more about the people I share it with, and being happy and content with what we have...and not always striving for more or better. So for now, my "dream home" is under renovation...and I like the direction it's moving in.

xoxo, wife

(All images found via Google images.)

No comments:

Post a Comment