Saturday, February 21, 2015

saw it. pinned it. did it #3.

You guys. I found it. The magical formula I've been searching for all my married life.

I've finally found the solution for getting that oily, sticky residue off my toaster!

No clue where it came from, but over the years, our toaster has collected this layer of nastiness that I could NOT get off. No cleaning solution I own could ever take care of this grime. I merely moved it around. So I began to just push the toaster into the corner, trying to ignore how gross it was.

But in my (every-once-in-awhile) attempt to be more domestic, I found a pin on Pinterest that promised to take care of it. It said all I needed was Cream of Tarter and water. I was skeptical, but I pinned it anyway. And then, just like my toaster, I ignored it. Because it probably wasn't going to work anyway.

But yesterday, on Snow Day #2 this week, I made a PopTart for breakfast. And while that PopTart was cooking, I stared at the toaster. And I couldn't take it any longer. So I busted out my laptop and found that pin on my "Domesticate Myself" board. And I got my supplies and nasty toaster ready.


The nice thing was, I already had all the supplies on-hand. 




Ew. 

So I mixed about 2 tbsp of the Cream of Tarter with some water until it made a paste-like substance. Then I used my scrubby and some elbow grease. The website said to wipe it off with a paper towel, but that didn't work for me. This was a whole other level of grime, I tell ya! After I scrubbed, I had to wipe it off with a wet rag and THEN use the paper towel to dry it. Anyway, it WORKED! I was amazed. Here are the results:





You wanna rub it, don't you? It's okay, I've done it every time I've walked by. It's like having a brand-new 5 year old toaster! Instead of being shoved in the corner, I want to display it in a place of honor! I want to use it as a mirror to apply my makeup! I've now instated a "no one is ever allowed to use the toaster again" rule in our house. It's so shiny and perfect.

The same kind of residue was on our microwave door too (I think all this stuff comes from cooking on the stove-top). So I used the same method and it now looks shiny and perfect too!

However...

Lessons I learned during this project:
1. Do not vacuum before cleaning your toaster. You will have burnt crumbs all over the freaking place when you're done, and you'll have to vacuum again. Even if you already dumped them out before you began. Seriously, you'll have no clue that this many crumbs could even fit in there. But your dog will enjoy it.
2. The Cream of Tarter smell will still be on your hands after multiple washes. It seems to permeate into your pores. I didn't even know that Cream of Tarter had a smell until today. It's not my favorite.

The next things on my "OMG-I-Can't-Find-Anything-That-Will-Clean-This" list are the grates for our burners on the stove. I have a few pins for that too, but again, I'm a skeptic (and most involve ammonia)...so it may be awhile before I tackle that.

Becoming more domestic one appliance at a time.

xoxo, wife.

2 comments:

  1. Great job and I also learned something new. I will try that on my toaster. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa....I would have just thrown that nasty thing out & bought a new one. Remind me to never eat toast at your house!

    ReplyDelete