Tuesday, December 16, 2014

my day was made.

I love my job. Love it. Especially this year. I have some amazing little kiddos who make me smile and impress me with their eagerness to learn every day.

But I'll be honest. Sometimes (especially Mondays...) I find myself driving to school wishing I had an office job. There are days where I'd like to just sit in a cubicle and keep to myself. There are times I don't really feel like being an enthusiastic goofball ALL day in order to get 5 year olds excited about place value.

I was having one of those days last week.

The weather was dreary, I knew I'd be at work LATE that night, and Christmas Break was still too far away to seem real. I was sitting at my computer getting some last minute stuff ready before the day started. One of my former students (from my very first class, and now in 3rd grade) came in to say good morning.

"Oh and guess what, Mrs. Miller! You remember that essay contest the school is doing? The one where we write about someone who inspires us? Well I wrote about you!"

"You did?" I said.

"Yeah. You've always been my favorite teacher ever. And I wanted to write about you. I hope I get picked to go up on stage and read it."

And she did. Yesterday morning, my former student was chosen to read her essay in front of the entire school.


And instantly, that feeling of wanting to sit in a cubicle by myself all day vanished. I realized that this is exactly why I do what I do. Not to be recognized in front of the school. But to make an impact. Even if I never heard her essay...even if she never wrote the essay. To have made an impact in her life is why I'm a teacher. Sure, reading and writing are important (and they are my favorite things to teach in kindergarten.) But even more important than that is that my students know my "heart is so full of love" for them. Because it is. And they need to know it. My day was made by this little girl.

I will undoubtedly have days when I wish I could work quietly by myself all day. But I now have this essay hanging on the wall by my desk to remind me that even though my day may be loud, hectic, and exhausting...I'm here to make a difference. And that's my mission.

xoxo, Mrs. Miller

3 comments:

  1. Such a proud Papa.......Atta Girl Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great "reminder" you were given! I'm sure there are many more students who have gone on, and who will go on, that feel the same way. Keep up the great work. You make a difference in these kids lives!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. I always knew you a great, loving teacher, keep up the good work.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete