Sunday, May 5, 2013

and then we realized we were grownups.

I met this girl when I was 12. I had just moved to a new school and it was my first day of Junior High. Lauren was in a few of my classes, and invited me to sit with her at lunch. Since then, we've had lots of memories together.







Then, a few years ago, she was in my wedding.


And now, 13 years after we met, I went to her baby shower today. 

And while I was there, watching her open her gifts, I thought back to everything we've been through together.

Plays and musicals.
Football games.
Movie Nights.
Tennis matches.
Proms.
Breakups.
Bowling parties.
Swimming parties.
Road trips.
Lunch room conversations.
High school graduation.
2 weddings.
Her mother's death.
And now her baby shower.




While she was showing me her son's nursery, it just hit us. We're 25. We're both married now. We've both begun our careers, and now she's having a baby. We're officially grownups. We've been friends for 13 years. And no, we don't get together as often as we'd like. But when we do, we pick right up where we left off. We're so blessed to still be in each other's lives at this point, when so many other friendships have fallen away through the years.

 I can't wait to meet her new little bundle of joy in 7 weeks. He's gonna have an amazing Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment