Tuesday, August 12, 2014

quotes from Open House 2014

Well, I've officially put in my first 12 hour day of the year. Clocked in at 7:34. Clocked out at 7:46. Needless to say, it was a looooooong day. And the last hour of this incredibly long day was Open House. Kindergarten classes haven't been split up yet, because we're testing students first, so I literally met 30+ families in 60 minutes. It was a lot. But I made it through and even remembered some of what was said.

"This is my son. I'm not really sure why he's making that face. He doesn't normally look so....violent."

"She doesn't normally act like this...she''ll be way better behaved in class. I hope."

"Can we request which teacher he has?"

"Ya'll gonna learn to read? What...is this like the smart class or somethin'?"

"She's never been in a structured environment before...so we thought we should put her in kindergarten now. She just does whatever she feels like whenever she feels like it."

"Can I request a teacher?"

"What day does school start?"

"So school begins at 8:00...so that means that like, he should be here by 8:00 then?"

"Can we request a teacher?"

"We pulled in the parking lot and he said, 'Is this my school? This is my dream! I've always wanted to go to school!"

"I have a question for you. How long have you been teaching? What's your teaching style? What time is school out? Can he be in your class? If he's in your class, does he ever have to be with the other teacher?"

"She's not as talkative as her sister was. Oh and she's not as smart either."

It was an interesting evening, to say the least. For the most part, the kids and their families seem pretty typical of the families that we normally have. There are a couple kids that I would prefer NOT to have, and there are a few I'd love to have. There are a lot of siblings of my former students, which is fun because I've met them through the years and know their families. We have testing appointments for the kiddos the rest of the week and then we'll split the kids up into classrooms and they start school on Monday!

And after this 12-hour workday, I'm turning in.

xoxo, mrs. miller


No comments:

Post a Comment