Thursday, August 8, 2013

open house 2013



I got to meet my brand new batch of kiddos tonight! I went from 12 students to 19 students in a matter of 24 hours, and that number is still on the rise. Our enrollment was too low and we were in danger of losing a teacher. So they opened registration for 4 year olds that will turn 5 by the middle of October. I've had my fair share of 4 year olds in the past, so it's not too huge of a deal to me.

It's always interesting to meet the new kids. They're so young, and sooooo little! It's strange to think about how much time we're going to spend together for the next 10 months, and how much they'll grow and change.

First impressions are everything, and I've gotten pretty good at judging how kids are going to be, just by meeting them and their parents during Open House. I have to say, I think I lucked out with a pretty good group of kids. (Knock on wood.) I had about 7 who didn't show up, but the ones who came were pretty sweet. I've already pegged a couple as being "difficult," (like the boy who grabbed a marker and wrote all over the board) but all little kids are difficult to a degree.

I was also impressed by some of the parents I met. In the past, I haven't had much support or involvement from the parents. The ones I met tonight really seem to be with it though, so I'm looking forward to working with them throughout the year.

I've been spending a lot of time preparing for next week, although you can never be fully prepared for the first day of Kindergarten. There are so many unknowns and new experiences. I can't believe that in a few short days we'll be starting another year!

We wrap up Professional Development week tomorrow, my birthday is on Saturday, and Sunday will be spent making finishing any last minute details and doing laundry. The relaxing days of summer are now long gone and the long, chaotic days are upon us. Wish me luck!

xoxo, wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment