Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Wife

I've officially been married for 8 and a half months. And while there have been many ups and downs even this early on, the main thing I strive to do is be the best wife I can be. This is tough for two reasons.

1. I was an only child growing up.

Because of this, I am unaware of how to share things. I thought I mastered this skill in preschool, but apparently it doesn't stick unless you have to share for more than 12 hours a week. I don't like to share my pillow, my Hawaiian Punch, my hot water, and other various things. But I'm working on it :)

2. I was sheltered growing up.

While I love my parents more than any daughter has ever loved her parents and I'm very close with them, I'm the first one to admit that I was too protected and babied as I grew up. I'm not talking about being spoiled with toys and clothes and cars (because that is an entirely different issue, and I do not believe I was any more spoiled than any of my friends with siblings), I'm talking about life skills. When I got married, I was unable to cook anything other than Kraft mac and cheese, PB&J, and hot dogs. (Ok, it wasn't QUITE that bad...but seriously close.) I also didn't understand how medical and car insurance works, and had no clue about how to go about applying for a loan to buy our first house.

But I think I've grown a little in the last 8 months. We've recently bought a brand new SUV, bought an amazing house, I finished college and have gotten my first full-time job in my chosen field, and I've recently picked up a new hobby...COOKING! We now have a variety of dinners to choose from each night, instead of my three former staples. I probably sound so completely incompetant and stupid, but I'm really trying here. And I really just want to be the best wife and make my husband happy and proud :)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Cut yourself some slack, my friend! Everyone felt that way when they were first married. It takes time to learn how to be on your own fully, and then how to be a wife on top of it all! The most important thing is that you love each other and Jesus, which you do, and then the rest falls in place over time. You're a good wife, for sure!

    ReplyDelete