Sunday, February 27, 2011

An Admirable Act...that I Cannot Relate to.

At church last week, our youth pastor relayed the following fact to our congregation: Over 8,000 children die EVERY DAY from hunger. Because of this, our senior high youth decided to raise money and participate in a 30 Hour Famine this weekend. Ty is one of the youth leaders, so yesterday at one o'clock, he stopped eating for the next 30 hours. The youth had a lock-in, where they kept themselves busy and tried to keep their minds off their hunger. Then the kicker came this morning: 24 hours into this challenge, Ty and the youth group served food at the Faith Mission. I can't imagine how hard that must have been to do, having gone so long without food. They've continued their fasting throughout the day, and should be nearing the end of it here in the next half an hour or so.

The kicker is, I've been sitting here all day admiring my husband, and thinking about how proud I am of him. And you know what I just did? Ate some frozen pizza for dinner! So I am appreciative of two things this evening.

1. That Ty and the youth group were so selfless this weekend, and worked for a fantastic cause.

2. I was able to donate money to the cause last week, and didn't have to sacrifice my meals this week. (Terrible, I know, but I don't know if I would've had the strength to do it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment