Thursday, November 14, 2013

a peek into my day


  • One of my lovelies asked to use the bathroom. She then came back from the bathroom and announced that she didn't make it, twirling around to show us her totally soaked khakis.
  • My "wild child" (you know, the room destroyer) came back to school today. We started a new behavior plan for him that worked very well this morning. Then, at promptly 12:00 he decided that he was done being good. He refused to do anything in music, and said he wouldn't go to gym because "gym is toopid....I'm not goin'. I wanna go back with Miss Milluh." So then I had to spend my prep with him in my room, grunting every couple minutes in anger. This also meant I couldn't leave the room to go make copies or anything because I couldn't leave him unattended and he refused to get out of his seat and come with me.
  • Sent one of my students to the office for kicking another child in the face on purpose.
  • The fire alarm went off. It was 20 degrees. Took the kids outside. Was informed by the principal that this was not a planned drill, and the fire department wouldn't let us go back in until they came and had checked it out. Did I mention it was 20 degrees? And did I mention that my kids wear short-sleeved uniform shirts? And did I mention that I had 2 little girls wearing skirts with no tights? Yeah...so that sucked.
  • After we were given the all-clear from the fire alarm, we went back inside and tried to get back into the swing of things. 10 minutes later, the fire alarm went off again. As we were heading back out again, we were told to ignore the alarm and go back to class. So we turned around and went back, a total waste of 5 minutes of instruction time.
  • The fire alarm then went off 4 more times before lunch. Did I mention that it's incredibly hard to teach 5 year olds when the fire alarm is going off every few minutes? It is.
  • One of my students (a girl this time) got angry with me when I flipped her card for being disrespectful to me. She then yelled, "I hate you!" and began taking things off my desk and throwing them on the ground. (Now that my wild child has done it, they all think they can throw stuff and destroy the room.) She refused to go to the office and had to be carried out by administration. For the record, that's now 2 of my children in the office.
  • I picked up my kids from gym, only to be informed that while they were there, one of my students swallowed a quarter and choked on it, almost bad enough to call an ambulance. Luckily I was spared a trip to the hospital with that student when they were able to dislodge the quarter from its stuck position in her throat and it went the rest of the way down in her belly, where it now sits. Apparently, they said it'll eventually pass. She then whined the rest of the afternoon that her throat hurt. Well, I should think so!
  • And to top it all off, as I sit here typing, I'm pretty sure I may have pink eye. In both eyes.
Well played, Thursday. Well played.

xoxo, wife.

1 comment:

  1. I think that when you get trough teaching you will have a wealth if wisdom and will be able to write book on your experiences.
    Keep up the good work and keep your chin up.
    Love Grandma Sue

    ReplyDelete