Monday, November 25, 2013

happy monday.

All is calm in my neck of the woods tonight.
I'm rejoicing in the fact that I only have two more days of work this week.
I'm enjoying our Christmas decorations.
I'm grimacing at the snow that's falling outside...
But I'm loving the fact that it's finally hot chocolate weather.



On the school front, we're doing a week-long pilgrim study this week.
I got a huge kick out of how much fun the kids had learning about them today.
They thought it was absolutely crazy that the pilgrims didn't have electricity, stoves, or toilets!
We had a 15 minute discussion about outhouses...it was so funny!
I've never seen this group of kids get so excited about something.
I had an Ivy Tech student observing me for one of her classes today, and we were both giggling at the kids' reactions to learning about how little the pilgrims had and how much work they had to do on their own.
Toward the end of the day, one of my kiddos said, "Man I'm exhausted." I asked, "Why?" To which he replied, "Cuz we've been learning about the pilgrims all day. They had to do so much work all the time that it's making me tired to keep thinking about it!"

We also talked about the Mayflower. We learned how crowded the boat was and that most people could only bring one or two items with them. So we wrote about what we would bring if we were getting on the Mayflower.




We're continuing the pilgrim study the rest of the week, but since they're having so much fun, I spent tonight gathering some ideas for our next unit: a 3 week study on presidents and american symbols, which will take us right up to Christmas Break. I found some really fun things that I'm pretty excited about. 

Happy Monday. Here's to 2 more work days before stuffing ourselves silly.
Cheers.

xoxo, wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment