Tuesday, January 14, 2020

pure


Something happens to my heart when Bryson smiles at me. I don't know exactly what it is, but I do know that it's good. I know it's good because I can see how he feels when he's smiling at me. At just 4 months old, I doubt it's love...but there are definitely feelings there. And they're pure. It's the purest thing I've ever experienced.

He smiles and giggles at me first thing in the morning when I get him out of his bassinet. I have no makeup on, my hair is a complete mess, and my eyes are still swollen from sleep. He doesn't care. He smiles anyway.

While carrying him the 20 feet from our room to his room to unswaddle and change him, he gets about 47 kisses. I still have morning breath, but he doesn't care. He smiles anyway.

I've mentioned before that he hates Tummy Time. I've been working hard on making him do it more often so he grows stronger, and there are times when he will scream and cry while he's laying there. But when I pick him up and reassure him that we're "all done, baby...all done," he smiles...even though I've forced him to do the one thing he hates more than anything.

He smiles at my awful singing voice. And my horrible dance moves. He doesn't care that from his angle, he's always staring up at my double chin. He looks past the dark circles under my eyes, and any pimples that may pop up. He doesn't judge my crooked teeth, or what size pants I wear. He just smiles. And it's pure...and it's innocent. And there's nothing there but happiness, and what I hope will turn into love as he grows and learns what love is.

Something happens to my heart when Bryson smiles at me. And it's so, so good.

xoxo, wife.

3 comments:

  1. This blog is so lovely, who knows it may be love in that smile.
    I just know that when I see him smile, I have pure love in my heart.
    Love you guys,
    Grandma Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. A child’s love is the best thing ever. (Especially a little boy ��!) No judgement. Nothing. Neiko is soo sweet and will come rub my back and just tell me a thousand times a day how much he loves me despite all my flaws. Tells me i’m the best mommy ever and recently he’s started to thank me for everything. I’m like it’s my job to feed you, you don’t have to thank me. ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that! And it's so great to hear that it's still like that, even at 5 years old. I keep saying each new stage is my favorite!

      Delete