Tuesday, January 1, 2013

resolution: 2013

I recently heard about the book "One Thousand Gift" by Ann Voskamp.
I began reading it, and immediately fell in love.
In the book, Ann discusses a lot about how we can really get caught up in the sucky moments of life, and forget to be grateful for all the amazing gifts God gives us daily.
Because you know what? There are crappy times in life.
The dog dies.
The car breaks down.
You lose your job.
You sit in hospital waiting rooms.
Your friends get divorced.
A coworker is diagnosed with cancer.
But even in those terrible times, though it doesn't always seem like it, there are things to be grateful for.
While I was reading the first night, I just sat there looking around.
I wasn't doing anything incredible.
We didn't have some profound family moment happening.
But sitting there snuggled up with my cat, hubby playing his video game a few feet away, I realized that even those things are incredible blessings.
God gives gifts even in the mundane, day to day things that we take for granted.
I don't want to take those for granted.
I want to get in the habit of living fully, and appreciating each and every gift I'm given.
Even if they might not be "a big deal."
Now, that all sounds fine and dandy.
But I'm not a moron.
I know that it takes more than warm and fuzzy thoughts to bring about actual change.
I know you have to be intentional if you really want to make something happen.
I have to do something.

Ann challenges us to make a list.
And that's exactly what I'm going to do.
Make a list of one thousand gifts.
And for once, this isn't going to be a list of gifts I want, but gifts I already have.
Such as:
-Smiles from complete strangers.
-Trees covered in white snow.
-The sound of my sleeping husband breathing.
You don't even realize those are gifts until you write them down!
God is in the details...even the smallest ones.

So this is my 2013 resolution.
I am going to spend the year writing down 1,000 gifts.
In the cute notebook I made, of course!

Each day I will find blessings, however common.
And it's not just a list of gifts that I've been given...it's also a list of thanks to God.
Perhaps instead of coming home after work and complaining about all the bad parts of the day, I can tell Ty more about the gifts I received, however insignificant.
It will take practice, but I'm willing to put forth the effort.
Martin Luther once said, "If you want to change the world, pick up your pen."
And I plan to do just that.

xoxo, wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment