Monday, January 5, 2015

first purchase of 2015...

Other than groceries...
Oh, and gas.
Which, can we talk about gas prices for a second? I feel like an old person, talking about cheap gas prices, but I honestly can't remember paying under $2.00 in the 11 years I've been driving. So these prices are fantastic!

But anyway, instead of blowing all my Christmas money on clothes, I went and got something I've been wanting for about a year. I got myself a FitBit!


What is a FitBit, you ask?

Well it's an activity tracker that you wear on your wrist like a watch. Now it's certainly not the most fashionable watch I've ever worn, but it gets the job done...and then some.



It tells me the time.
It tells me how many steps I've taken in a day. (My goal is 10,000.)
It tells me how many calories I've burned in the day.
It tells me how many miles I've walked in the day.
It tells me how many flights of stairs I've climbed.
It tells me how many "active" minutes I've had (aka: exercise).
And it tracks my sleep patterns (my personal favorite.)

It tells me all these things right on my wrist, and on my phone. I can also check in on the computer.

I've only had it for a couple days, but it's motivated me to get up and move a little bit more so that I can get closer to the goals. Especially since some coworkers have "friended" me...now I feel like I definitely need to move around more, because they can see!

The most interesting part of all this is the sleep tracker. It seems pretty accurate so far. It uses movements (tossing and turning) as well as your heart rate to track how you sleep. It's been pretty spot-on with when I get up to let Abby out, and with how many times I feel restless in the night.

The bad thing is: if I have a bad night of sleep, it tells me.
Case in point: last night.
I could not fall asleep to save my life. So when I got up this morning, I saw this:


That's right. I got less than 5 hours of sleep last night. Now I'm a girl who NEEDS her 8 hours. And if I don't get it, I'm pretty cranky the next day. So the fact that I knew exactly how little sleep I got (and that I wasted a precious 15 minutes being restless) made going back to work this morning that much more difficult. But I made it through, and am still awake to tell about it at 8:30pm, and still going strong. 

Anyway, now that I've rambled on about this product (and I'm not even being endorsed for it,) I suppose I should get going. I've got rest to catch up on...obviously.

So that's my first purchase of 2015. 
Now I'm back to saving up for the next item on my list (and I'm not telling you what it is!)

xoxo, wife.

(Side note: my students were fantastic today. First day back after two weeks off and not one card flip. I love these kids!)


1 comment:

  1. I thought about getting you one of these for Christmas because I knew you talked about wanting one, and when it wasn't on your list I thought maybe Ty was getting it for you. Glad you got one and I hope you are happy with it.

    ReplyDelete